Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure

My last post was really ME-Centric, but there is so much more to tell about the race. You know, like Brian Regan's "ME Monster"?

My day started at 6:30. I woke up and got ready. I didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't want to eat too much, there was no point in wearing make-up, I was so nervous! I wasn't the only person to get up early though. Chance, Bryan, Tervlon, and TMJ all came down to the race route to support me.

Plus, I was on a team with a great bunch of DC-Area crafty bloggers: Andi the Jane of All Crafts, Cassie from Primitive and Proper, Kate from Twenty-Six to Life (along with her awesome hubby), and Sarah The Thriftress. I'm so sad that we didn't get a team picture! I had hoped that Chance would find us before the race since I didn't bring a camera, but alas...

At any rate, there were all SO nice! I actually found out about the 5K on Andi's blog. I wouldn't have gotten the courage to sign up for this on my own. I'm so grateful to have been on a team with these great ladies.

Cassie and Andi were totally legit runners and finished in like half my time. Kate, Sarah, and I decided to start at the back of the pack of runners but they both bested me as well. I was totally unprepared for how much different it would be to run on the road. My bad leg started hurting really early on so I ended up walking within the first quarter mile. I watched as old ladies passed me  I walked for the rest of the first mile. During the second mile I worked up to running and walking at intervals. I continued that pattern through the first half of the third mile. Amazingly, I found the strength to run that last bit. It was then that I saw Chance and the gang. Lady Luck smiled down on me to make sure that they all saw me when I was running.

After the race I got an opportunity to wander around collecting SWAG (Stuff We All Get). I got pink flip-flops from Old Navy, Key Lime yogurt from Yoplait, a sweat band, a key chain, and some breakfast! I also earned a SGK Reusable shopping bag for raising more than $50. Thank you to all who helped me reach that goal.

I hope to be able to run with these ladies again next year. Maybe I'll keep pace with Cassie and Andi?

For your convenience here are links to the rest of the team member's blog posts about the event:

Andi
Cassie
Kate
Sarah (No post quite yet. Stay tuned!)

1 comment:

  1. you did awesome!!!! and we are so doing it again next year, and yes, you can run with me and andi next year.. for sure! you can do it! look how far you have come already.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...