Sunday, September 11, 2011

I remember...

Ten years ago I was a senior in high school.

It was six days before my 18th birthday.

As I stopped at my locker to begin my day I peeked in my History teacher's classroom. I saw a fire in the World Trade Center.

I sat in my first period English class and watched the reporters fumble for information as the second tower was hit. I remember holding my classmate, Lindsey, as she cried.

Then she returned the favor as I burst into tears as the first tower fell.

Over the course of the next few hours, days, and years we learned what happened. We've worked to make sense of it. We got the people responsible.

And President Bush's words have come true, "This country will define our times, not be defined by them."

Here is a picture of my journal from that day. I started keeping it on the 9th. I have never been good a journaling. But I'll never forget the importance of my journaling from that day. I was at work on the 20th when President Bush gave a speech. I was so touched by the above quote that I wrote it on a napkin to insert in my journal later on.
I am so grateful for all the men and women who serve our country in the military, fire, police, and EMT departments. These people, and their families, are truly heroes.

Here are a few pictures of the mementos I have saved from that day.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is really awesome that you saved all of these things. I'm sure that your grand kids will ask you questions some day for their school reports, etc. Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...